How to Get Slime Out of Clothes Naturally
Kids love slime. The gooey, sticky substance brings them hours of pleasure as they play and let it ooze between their fingers. Unfortunately, the slime doesn't always stay where it is meant to stay. It inevitably works its way into your child's clothing and maybe even your carpet. But that doesn't mean you have to put the slime away forever.
Knowing a few tricks to get the slime out will save you time, money, and stress. If you can do it without using toxic chemicals, all the better. Using a few simple household ingredients, and a little elbow grease, you can have your house slime-free in no time. Here's what you need to know.
Remove Slime From Clothes With Vinegar and Baking Soda
One of the best ways to remove slime from anything is with vinegar. This kitchen staple can be used for a multitude of different cleaning projects, so it should be no surprise that it comes in handy here too.
Try to get the slime off while it is still wet. The process is much less difficult than after it dries.
Before doing anything else, remove as much excess slime from the clothing as possible. Then:
- Put your clothing in the sink and pour white vinegar over the slime.
- Let the material sit for a few minutes.
- Grab your scrub brush and scrub back and forth over the slime.
- Repeat as necessary until the slime comes out.
- Rinse with water.
If your slime has had time to dry, you may need to take things one step farther, cleaning up the slime with a vinegar and baking soda mixture.
- Mix equal parts white vinegar and water.
- Add baking soda to the mix to make a paste.
- Cover the dried slime with the paste and let sit until dry.
- Remove the dry paste with a soft bristle brush or paper towel.
- Repeat if necessary.
After using either method, launder your clothing as normal with your laundry detergent soap, and all signs of the slime will be gone. White vinegar works best for slime removal, but distilled vinegar can be used in its spot. Just be aware that it is less acidic, so you may need to use a bit more vinegar and a little less water in your mixture.
Remove Slime From clothes With Castile Soap
Another good option for getting slime out of your clothes is castile soap. Grab a bottle of MamaSud’s castile soap and head to the kitchen sink.
- Squirt some soap over the slime.
- Rub the material together to spread the soap out.
- Then scrub under a stream of running water.
- Repeat as necessary until the slime is gone.
This method works with both wet and dried slime, but again, the sooner you catch the mess, the easier it is to get it out of your items.
Bonus: Remove Slime From Carpet
These same all-natural methods can be used to remove the slime from your carpet if your kids get carried away. Grab a spray bottle and get ready to mix.
- Mix two parts vinegar and one part warm water.
- Spray onto the stain.
- With a soft brush, scrub the spot to work the slime loose.
- Dab the stain with a paper towel, and vacuum after it dries.
- Add one teaspoon of castile soap to one cup of warm water.
- Spray onto the stain and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Use a sponge to gently scrub the spot and pick up the slime particles.
- Repeat if needed and allow to dry. (Note: your carpet will be sudsy, so you may need to rinse it with clean water after the slime spot dries.)